Wrocław Market Square
It is the heart of Wroclaw, This place does not fall asleep. It is the greatest urban layouts of its kind in Europe. Traced in 13th century is the second main square in size in Poland. The square has an oblong shape surrounded with sixty five beautiful, antique houses. Each side of the square has its own name. Western wall was named the Wall of Seven Electors, southern – The Golden Goblet, eastern – Green Pipe and northern – Treats Market. In the centre of the square there is a block with a hall and City Hall, an unique monument of lay, Gothic architecture.
The Ossolineum Library
This stunning Baroque palace complex on the Odra riverbank was rebuilt to its late 17th century designs after being damaged heavily during WWII and is today one of the most outstanding works of Baroque architecture in Poland. Originally a hospital and convent, later a college, today the magnificent grounds are home to the Ossolineum Library - an important research centre and national archive, the country's oldest still-running publishing centre and one of its largest library collections. Established in 1817 by Józef Maksymilian Ossoliński when he began collecting Polish manuscripts and cultural documents in his Vienna flat, recognising their importance to national culture after Poland was wiped from the world map, Ossoliński's private library became a national institute and was eventually moved to L'viv where it expanded generously. After post-war border changes the collection was moved to Wrocław, however communist authorities confiscated over 80% of it which presumably remains in L'viv today. The collections of the Ossolineum are some of the most valuable in the country and include manuscripts by Polish bards Adam Mickiewicz and Juliusz Słowacki, writings by Copernicus, and drawings by Rembrandt and Durer. The site of regular free exhibitions, the Ossolineum is otherwise worth a look around for the building itself, with the library and inner and outer courtyards all accessible to the public.
The Old Town hall
The Old Town Hall of Wrocław stands at the center of the city’s Market Square. The Gothic building is one of the main landmarks of the city. The Old Town Hall's long history reflects developments that have taken place in the city since its initial construction. The town hall serves the city of Wroclaw and is used for civic and cultural events such as concerts held in its Great Hall. In addition, it houses a museum and a basement restaurant.
The Cathedral Island
The history of Wrocław began here. The stronghold in Ostrów Tumski is dated back to the beginning of 10th century. In 1000 a bishopric was established here. When the princes moved to the left-bank castle, Ostrów became catholic area. Tumski Bridge was a border between the areas of the bishopric and the city. There are two neo-gothic statues at the entry to the bridge. One of them is St John the Baptist, the patron of the city, the second St Jadwiga. The main monument is St. John the Baptist Archcathedra. There is Holy Cross and St. Bartholomew Collegiate Church in the Church Square.
The Royal Palace is situated in the southern part of the historic Old Town in Wroclaw, at ul. Kazimierza Wielkiego, within an area called the Four Denominations District. The beginnings of the palace date back to the beginning of 18th century. Currently, the renovated Royal Palace constitutes one of the most important monuments in Wroclaw, and there is an exhibition centre, where, in spacious rooms, the exhibition “1000 years of Wroclaw” is presented. The Museum of History (Muzeum Historyczne) collects and makes available monuments of history and art referring to Wroclaw, craftsmanship and the iconography of Wroclaw, including graphics, drawings and photography. The Museum collection includes a series of documents, leaflets, posters and banners. There is also a unique collection illustrating a history of Wroclaw’s theatres.
Panorama of the Battle of Racławice in Wrocław, an impressive relic of 19th-century century mass culture, is one of only few examples of this genre preserved in Europe. The large painting (15x114m) 'transfers' the viewer into an altogether different time, a reality of its own, by artfully combining painterly devices (special kind of perspective) and technical effects (lighting, artificial terrain, dark and usually tortuous passage to the viewing platform).
Previous name – Peoples Hall, it is widely considered one of the most important works of the 20th-century architecture. It was designed by an outstanding architect, Max Berg. It was built in 1913, for the occasion of a hundredth anniversary of battle of Leipzig. This early-modernist, once the largest in the world, ferroconcrete structure has a vault 1.5 times larger than the dome of the Roman Pantheon, and the weight of the Hall is only 42% of the mass of the Pantheon. Until today it is the place of both regional and international congresses, as well as commercial, sports and cultural events.
The National Museum in Wrocław established in 1947, is one of Poland's main branches of the National Museum system. It holds one of the largest collections of contemporary art in the country. Admission to gallery is free on Saturdays. Among the permanent exhibits set up on different floors of the Museum are four distinct departments divided by art-periods and historical epochs. The oldest is the "Silesian Art of the 12th to 16th century", featuring tombs of Silesian princes and most precious works of the Gothic art in Poland. The second is the "Silesian Art of the 16th to 19th century" with sculpture, painting and decorative arts from Silesian Renaissance to Romanticism. The next is the "Polish Art of the 17th to 19th century" with Polish Baroque portraits by Marceli Bacciarelli and Canaletto among others. And finally, the renown "Polish Art of the 20th century" collection.
The museum is the only architecture museum in Poland. It is located in a 15th-century post-Bernardine set of buildings, including the St Bernardine of Sienna Church and a monastic quadrangle with a garden. The museum's collections illustrate the evolution of architecture in general, although with a specific focus on Poland. The largest collection of stained glass in Poland can be found here. Permanent exhibitions on display are: "Relics of Wroclaw's Mediaeval Architecture"; "Architectural Craft from the Twelfth to the Twentieth Century"; "Wroclaw: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow"; "The Art of Geometry: A Gallery of Polish Geometrical and Constructivist Art
The Botanical Garden of the University of Wrocław, known as an "oasis of beauty and peace" in the heart of a city, is a "live museum" and a research and teaching centre as well as a favourite place to rest for the citizens of Wrocław. It is located north to St. John the Baptist's Cathedral and St. Cross Church, partly within the historic Ostrów Tumski, 2 km from Rynek. It is the second (after the one in Kraków) oldest institution of this type in Poland, listed among Lower Silesia monuments. The Botanical Garden lies within the boundaries of the historic centre of Wrocław, an area designated for special protection.